16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence

 

I am a privileged woman. I have never been a victim of violence or abuse. I have lived a sheltered life and I am grateful for the protection I have received. Not all women are as fortunate as I am. A third of all  women will have experienced some kind of violence during their lifetime. Many are suffering from violence now. Domestic violence, rape, sexual harassment, workplace harassment, digital harassment, hate speech, psychological abuse, stalking, mobbing, child marriage, female genital mutilation, honour killings (what an oxymoron!) and femicides. This is a long list but I am sure I missed something that should be mentioned. We can’t just close our eyes and pretend this doesn’t exist. I can’t ignore this, even though I have no direct experience. As long as women are being subjected to gender-based violence we have to take action.

November 25 is the International Day for the Elimination of  Violence against Women. This day kicks off the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence, which is an annual international campaign that runs until 10 December, Human Rights Day. Men and women all around the world initiate actions during this time to raise awareness about the risks women are facing. What can we do to end violence?

I remember when the „Orange the World“ initiative was introduced by UNWOMEN. I was active in a women’s group organizing a congress for Christian women. I explained the concept of wearing something in orange on November 25 and on each 25th of a month to show support of the initiative to end violence against women. I showed the women an orange scarf and suggested we should give one to all the participants of the congress. Imagine my horror when some of the women said, „Orange is not my colour. I don’t look good in orange.“ For me it doesn’t matter if I look good as long as I can do something to raise the awareness that we have to end violence now. When women are being battered and raped, should I think about what I look like when I take action? Fortunately, this attitude did not last long, and we did get orange scarves for the congress participants, who were glad to wear orange.

As the Orange the World initiative has become a world wide movement, with people posting photos of their actions in orange on the internet, awareness is increasing that violence is not ok. More and more people are speaking up, including heads of governments and states announcing new initiatives and supporting existing ones. For instance, Chancellor Angela Merkel pointed out on November 23, 2020, a national telephone hotline for victims of violence 08000 116 016 and an online initiative https://staerker-als-gewalt.de/ as well as more funds for counseling agencies and women’s shelters.

Under the leadership of the UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, the United Nations call for support of the UNITE Campaign to end violence against women by 2030 by increasing awareness and joining forces to share knowledge and innovations.

The enditnow initiative was started by the Seventh-Day Adventist Women’s Ministries and relief organization ADRA in 2009 and is now supported by all departments oft he church. We must address the reality that violence exists and that it has to end. Let’s orange our world so that women can live without the fear of violence and abuse!



                                                                Photo: Dagmar Dorn




Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Erste weibliche Bischöfin in der alt-katholischen Kirche

Schwerhörigkeit